Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Help > Internal Fixtures and Fittings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sprayhood suppliers (Chichester) + tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CO32 Members
CO32 Members

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gregcope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sprayhood suppliers (Chichester) + tips
    Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 11:07am
Hi All,

Anyone care to share good/bad sprayhood suppliers in the South, Chichester area?

Heard good things about C&J Marine; http://www.cjmarine.co.uk who are local.

Any tips on what I should get look for?  Present list includes;
  • Leather/suede covered Hand hold (separate to the "edge");
  • Ability to connect to a cockpit tent and/or Teneau cover at a later date;
  • Robust Stainless frame (my present one is not suitable) - uprated if possible;
  • (optional) Ability to mount/attach a flexible solar pannel to the "roof" section and run wires to the deck level;
  • Height will need to be measured so my partner and I can "see" over the top of it when standing at the tiller for berthing;
  • Lots of windows;
  • Reasonably long, but not interfere with Main sheet;
  • Possible issues around Jeny sheets rubbing;
  • Cover Bridge Deck instrument pod and interface with Splash barrier (is that what it is called?), however not go too far forward;
  • Holes/access for lines lead to Coach roof mounted winches;
moongirl View Drop Down
CO32 Members
CO32 Members

Post Options Post Options   Quote moongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:00pm
Just had a look at the C&J Website and I see that they sell the male hood/female boat fittings by Perfix - just the job for protecting your clothes and sails from those nasty sticky outy pins!
COLIN
George Isted View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote George Isted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 10:13pm

Hi Greg,

I have had all my canvas work done by Tecsew in Gosport (www.tecsew.com) and they are excellent.  Nothing it too much trouble, they are very friendly and go the extra mile without charging through the nose.  I have recommended them to a number of boat owners all of which have echoed my own comments.

They initially made me a new boom cover and sprayhood with frame about 4 years ago.  Last year they made me dodgers, lee-cloths and hatch covers.  If you mail me your email address I can send you a pic of their work.

Regarding the height of the spray hood frame I had Concerto‚Äôs made to fit my height, I wanted it to be as high as possible for getting in and out of the main hatch but low-enough that I can just see over the top when standing in the cockpit.  I also had a handle added to the aft end of the sprayhood frame and the fame is made out of slightly bigger tubing than standard for additional sturdiness.

George Isted
www.solentboatbutler.co.uk
Contessa 32 "Concerto"
Co32 Class Measurer and ex Class Captain.
gregcope View Drop Down
CO32 Members
CO32 Members

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregcope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 7:09am
Hi George,

Thanks for the reply.

One query/area of interest is rubbing with sheets (main & headsail) on the sides / edge.

How does yours work in this respect?

I will ping you re pictures - although by the sounds of it we need a co32 gallery :-)
George Isted View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote George Isted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:40am

No problem with the mainsail or mainsheet, however the port side genoa sheet does rub and wear on the fixing strap for the sprayhood.  No easy way to get around that although having a second genoa car fitted at the aft end of the track helps, as does loosening the sprayhood strap on that side.  Ultimately I can live with a bit of wear an will replace the strap when it gets too scruffy.

George Isted
www.solentboatbutler.co.uk
Contessa 32 "Concerto"
Co32 Class Measurer and ex Class Captain.
 Post Reply Post Reply