CONTESSA 32 ASSOCIATION Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Help > Everything Else
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Smelly Contessa!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Smelly Contessa!!!

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message
George Isted View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009
Location: Solent
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 367
Post Options Post Options   Quote George Isted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smelly Contessa!!!
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:00am
No probs,

Dave at JR knows his onions so it sounds like you are going down the right route for this repair. 
George Isted
Contessa 32 "Concerto"
Co32 Class Captain and Measurer.
Back to Top
samourai View Drop Down
CO32 Members
CO32 Members
Avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Location: Greece
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Post Options Post Options   Quote samourai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm
Hi everyone, just a little update concerning the filling up of the keel voids.  
After many months of driyng out, we decided to start the process. We took the following steps using Polyester Isophtalic Resin Cristic 491 PA and the Catalyst Butanox M50. The temperatures were between 20c and 25c so we thought it was better to add only 1% of catalyst which is a strict minimum. This gave us the time to work and also permitted the resin to flow down into the voids. On each side of the keel we had previously drilled about 7 holes of 10mm diameter and we began to fill up from the lower holes. We used 60ml syringes to pour the resin into the holes which had the advantage to give a little push inside the void. When a hole was starting to overflow we had to block it with duct tape until cured. We decided to stay on the safe side to avoid any exothermic reaction and we only poured 100 ml (max 200 ml) on each dose. In between doses we waited about 1h30 to 2h00 to make sure the resin was well cured. The whole procedure lasted 6 afternoons and the total amount of resin was nearly 3000 ml. In the end we used a rubber hammer to check if all the voids were filled up. We finished the job by patching the holes with epoxy filler. I hope this will be helpfull for any owner with a similar problem. 


Edited by samourai - 13 Nov 2017 at 9:47pm
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down